Thursday, November 12, 2009

Man's muzzleloader deer.

The weekend appeared to be shot when I found out that on my brother-in-law's farm there were not only going to be man and myself but my father-in-law, his cousin AND the other guy that has permission to hunt there.
Not a big deal it is basically one big field, one small field and three small scuds of woods.
We can hunt 5 people there but it will be pretty crowded and there will be some "cuttin off" of deer to someone.

Then I find out the other guy is bringing his uncle AND his cousin.

I decide I will take doublelung up on his offer and get up at 3:00 and drive to his place.

After talking to man he says he would rather sleep longer and go after the buck we have named Chocolate.

Then my father-in-law said he and his cousin are going somewhere else.

Drama, gotta love it.

So we get to the farm and walk in to man's stand.
He gets all settled in and I head to my stand.

I get up in the stand and send man a text to let him know I am up and ready and ask if he is good to go.
He replied that he was ready and told me good luck.
I sent another telling him good luck. I also added, after checking the time, that it was shooting time and to be ready.

I reach to lay my phone on the side of the stand and hear BOOM !
I grab the radio and ask if that was him. He can't hear me on our piece of crap radios so I call him.

He said it was a big doe and he busted her.
How far was she?
Twenty yards, right in front of me.
Where did she go?
She made a circle and ran into the woods and I heard her crash right here by my stand.
Ok, we will give her some time and then I will come over there.
Ok.
What did she do when you shot?
She fell down. \:\)

I asked him if he wanted me to come over and reload for him and us hunt a while or what.
He sent me one back that said, "It don't matter to me, I got MOG" For the uneducated in redneck that means MEAT ON THE GROUND. I think he gets that from his mother.

I get down about 20 minutes later and head over to his stand and when I come around the corner he is already out in the field looking for blood.

I go to where he was and he shows me where she was standing and how she ran in a big circle and hit the woods.
We go to where he said she went into the woods and there is a WALL of honeysuckle and green briar that a tank couldn't go through.

I move down about 10 yards to the trail I knew was there and asked if she could have been here instead.

He looks at me with "that look" and says, "She was RIGHT here."
Well, alrighty then.

Sure enough there is blood in the honeysuckle where she jumped about 4 feet high to get over it.
I tell him I will circle around from the trail and when I find blood in the woods he can come in.

I take a few steps and hear a deer running through the woods. Sounds kinda like she was stomping her foot or something. That worried me.

We follow the blood trail about 10 yards and see foamy pink blood and bright red blood. Then we find the bed where she had laid down. After that, NOTHING. That REALLY scared me.
I follow the turned up leaves, praying all the way, and then about 20 yards later I see a deer laying there.

I take a few more steps and see that the "doe" had something sticking out of her head.
Three years in a row man has scored with "my" Ruger muzzleloader.
He is THE MAN.
Shot was a little back from where most people would say you should shoot but it still got one lung. I told him, as we were field dressing it, that the shot was perfect or we wouldn't be elbow deep.

Turned out to be a nice 5 point buck.


Dead buck, field dressed and in the truck before 7:00 a.m. that's what I'm talking about.
God bless and good hunting,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment