Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 2 of muzzleloader season

When man and I got up I just knew it was going to be a beautiful morning, very little wind and I just got a really good feeling.

We hadn't seen anything and hadn't heard any shots. About 7:15 I send him a text and tell him to be ready because in the next few minutes we are gonna see some deer. Honestly I just had that feeling.
I reach to lay my phone down and I swear I didn't even get it laid down before I saw movement in front of me and to my left.

I see three deer, all antlerless coming my direction. They were already within 30 yards before I saw them. It is THICK where I am hunting.

I ease the Encore up to my shoulder and glass each of their heads to make sure I ain't gonna shoot Chocolate.
I pick out the big lead doe and when she stops at 20 yards I pop her.
Deer go everywhere.
She just jumped with that "what was that" deal going on then walks out of view towards man's stand.

I can still see two of the deer so I begin the process of reloading. Before I put the powder in I get this feeling and for some reason I can't remember putting my caps in my film canister.

I pull the canister out, literally while one of the deer watched me, and look inside. Insert explative here.

I search every pocket, nook, cranny everywhere I can think of. I have no caps.
Then I think about how I posted that I was going to carry my bow and muzzleloader. Sigh... I have a big mature doe, yearling doe and button buck within TEN YARDS of my stand and all I can do is watch.

They move off towards man's stand. I think, well at least he will get a shot.

I wait about 20 minutes and reach down into my backpack to get a drink of coke. That is when the deer blew. They were all still within 15 yards of me, directly behind my stand in the thick stuff.

They all run away from man, of course, and then two of them stop about 10 yards from my stand.
I think, well I will just stand up and it will take off towards man.

I stand up, the deer looks at me.
I wave my hand / arm at the deer and it looks at me.
I wave it again and literally say, get outta here !
The deer looks at me.
I reach and grab a branch and shake it and break some of the limbs off.
The deer looks at me.
I end up with a stick about a foot and a half long in my hand. I point it at the deer and say outloud, BANG BANG you're dead.
The deer looks at me.
I throw the stick at the deer.
I missed.
The deer looks at me.
OH GOOD GRIEF ! I start climbing down and decide if the deer stands there I am gonna tackle it.
Finally the big doe, off in the distance blows and the little one takes off the wrong direction.

I send Taylor a text and inform him that a muzzleloader is useless as a killing tool with no caps.

While I was happy I scored I sure did wish they would have run to man, but he was happy I scored too though.
Pretty good opening weekend.

God bless and good hunting,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment